My Amelia Rose

My Amelia Rose

Monday, March 25, 2013

Conforming so soon?

At 4 years old I think a child shouldn't have a care in the world.  Life is good, they love princesses and soldiers, eating ice cream and playing in the dirt. But it doesn't seem so these days.  We talk about how teens are such bullies nowadays and so many bad things are happening with our kids but it's happening younger and younger.

This weekend, on our girls weekend, Amelia and I spent a lot of time in the hotel pool, she didn't want to leave there.  The thing is that she can't swim yet, we got in a few lessons last year and I plan to get her back in this year, but I had to carry her around the pool while we played.  It was all great and fun until another family came in, that's when she seemed to get self-conscious. She kept telling the little boy (I'd say he was 8-10 years old) that she could swim but her Mom wanted to carry her.  The boy didn't care either way and just smiled sweetly but why is my 4 year old caring what others think??!!

Just last week at school she told me that two little girls said her dress wasn't pretty, I said something loudly about they were wrong in front of others and a father of another child complimented Amelia's dress. 

Why are kids being so cruel so early?  And why do our kids care so early?  I'm sure my daughter has said some mean things although I tell her that is not acceptable and I don't know where these kids get it from, maybe it's parents, maybe it's kids being kids...but is that normal at 4 years old?? 

If it's this way at 4 what happens at 14?  I'm not sure what to do, I don't know how to deal with this because it has blindsided me.  I just want to put her in a bubble and keep her safe, I hate that my baby could be sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment