My Amelia Rose

My Amelia Rose

Thursday, February 14, 2013

What is brain training?

I get lots of questions about what Amelia is learning at LearningRx and honestly, I'm just getting a grasp of it myself.  When I started into this process I thought it would be like the typical place, tutoring and teaching her the basics; but now I know it's so much more.

What does playing with blocks, clapping on beat and memorizing a bunch of words have to do with school and learning?  I've found it's about training her brain unique ways to learn.  If she can learn these "crazy" things then when she starts school she can use her own unique way to do what needs to be done.  This brain training has already taught her my phone number, directions and much more.  She's learning to process things in a different way than I can. 

The other day while we were waiting, one of the other students who I would say is about 17 told me he wished he had started LearningRx earlier in life.  He see's a difference in the way he can study and learn and it's improved his studies tremendously.

For Amelia being so young, it's about providing unique challenges and showing her unique ways to get through them, I wish I knew that she would be taught this way when she starts "regular" school. 

I'm probably not the best person to explain how it works because putting it into words is tough but I see that it works.

Today someone said that I need to let Amelia know that she is smart, very smart but that she learns things in a different way than most kids.  The things she is learning at LearningRx will help with this.  If it takes using beats or singing to solve a math problem then so be it!  I wish I had found a way to do that when I was young.


No comments:

Post a Comment