My Amelia Rose

My Amelia Rose

Friday, February 22, 2013

Listen

Forgive my rant, and if your sensitive and know me you may not want to continue reading.


Everyone has an opinion, some are trying to be helpful, some are judgmental, some are genuinely concerned.  But everyone has one.

To a  Mom who is dealing with a child who has a "disorder" or "disability" that can be overwhelming.  I share my stories on Facebook sometimes, to get them out, to share, sometimes for advice but many times the responses that I get are overwhelming.

Amelia has been a diva this week, she could be a teenager!  Of course, as I shared this many said "it must be the new medicine, you know it can do that".  Um no, the bad mood started Monday, the medicine started Wednesday...S-T-R-I-K-E!  I know that it's from some people who are not really into giving kids medicine like this--I get it, I'm THAT Mom...or I was. 

You see, every kid is different.  I love that my friends are trying to help me, really.  But this morning I spent 5 minutes crying, it was overwhelming.  The "try this, try that", "could she have...", "have you had her tested in a lab", that's a lot for a Mom to take.  Yes, I need to trust my gut but I'm going with some things that my pediatrician says because she's known Amelia since birth and I truly trust her.  Oh she knows that if I doubt something I'll tell her, but overall I hear what she has to say.

Some people have asked if Amelia could have aspergers, talk about scaring me!  I called the doctor, she doesn't see that in Amelia, I can test her, but I'm not ready just yet.  I don't want to stick my head in the sand but I don't want to go looking for trouble either.  There are some bad doctors out there.  And if I do then what?  Label her?

I know for some parents it's important and I respect that and have several friends whose kids have Autism and Aspergers, they are amazing parents who really help me with Amelia because some symptoms can be similar and I've gotten great advice from them.  But I'm not there yet...I don't think.  It's a day-to-day thing. 

So next time your friend says she put her child on medicine just listen, your fear comes through whether you want it to or not, know that it's not a decision that any decent parent wants to make.  But what worked for your child may not work for mine and vice versa. 

Listen.





No comments:

Post a Comment