My Amelia Rose

My Amelia Rose

Monday, October 1, 2012

A great week!

Last week was a pretty awesome week.  We started training at LearningRx and I'll share how that went in a little bit but I want to tell you about everything else first.

Amelia has been getting in trouble a lot at school, we're talking time out multiple times a day and it was really wearing on me.  So I told her if she made it a whole week without going in time out that I would get her this movie she had been wanting.  The first week was a fail but last week was much better. 

One day when I picked her up the teacher stopped to tell me about something that happened.  The teacher had told all of the kids to pick up the books and none did, except...AMELIA!  I was so proud of my baby.  So she made it the whole week and on Friday was a very happy little girl!



As I mentioned in last weeks update she started her classes at LearningRx last week.  I told you about how the first night was okay but a little rough, well night 2 went much better!  Her Dad stayed with her and when I didn't hear I called to check and he said she was still in class--she stayed a little over an hour!  I was one proud Mom! 

We received her homework and it's been a little rough but I got in about 20 minutes tonight.  She does get frustrated but I'm grateful that LearningRx is so patient with the kids and knows that it takes time.


On another note, if you remember when I first started this blog I shared about the judgements that I felt from a Grandmother.  Well, we've been in another gymnastics class with one of her friends from dance class and her Grandmother brings her.  She knows a little about Amelia taking classes and such and this past Friday leaned over and told me that she was praying for me because I wasn't alone.  When her son was young she would be lucky if he slept 3 hours a night. 

It meant more to me than she'll ever know and that I can put into words.  It just takes one show of support to counter the negative. 

I'm learning that positive reinforcement and rewarding hard work is okay, it's even recommended by her pediatrician.  She knows that she has to earn those rewards and they can be very small and inexpensive things.  She loves earning "gold doubloons" to get something out of the "treasure chest" and rubber duckies and and stickers are her favorites. 

I know every week may not be this awesome but every small step counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment