My Amelia Rose

My Amelia Rose

Monday, August 13, 2012

How it all got started

As I started putting together this blog I was wondering how this all got started, how it came about that I realized that Amelia was very busy and made me one exhausted Mom.  I finally got the answer and here it is:

A couple of years back my husband was out of town and Amelia and I were supposed to be going to a friend of his wedding.  As I was trying to get ready and get her ready I just about lost it.  I finally snapped and said "CAN YOU BE STILL FOR JUST ONE WHOLE MINUTE??!!".  I don't remember her reaction but I do know that she couldn't, she just never stopped.

It's progressively just gotten "worse and worse", I say that in quotations because is the fact that she can't be still or stop going really a bad thing?  Sure, it's tiring for an almost 40 year old Mom but she's 4 and she's full of energy, the alternative could be much worse.

So what has me wanting to share my story on a blog?  It's the judgments, the pain from people giving you that look like your a terrible parent for not controlling your kid, the one that says "if my kid ever acted that way".  There have been times that I've been brought to tears.

One of the triggers for me has been in her gymnastics class, she is scared of being upside down and turning flips.  I just don't understand, yes, I feel that way about being upside down and have my fears but how does she have them?  One week she just sobbed because they "flipped" her, I mean a hysterical breakdown.

All of the parents laugh at Amelia at gymnastics, she's the rock star of the group, other kids may be shy or nervous but Amelia's right there cheering for everyone.  The teachers can't keep her focused but they are such great ladies and so patient.

Here was my final breaking point and I must say that I'm being a little risky here and may offend but I've decided to do this for my daughter and offending others just may happen, so if you are judgmental, stop reading here.

One of Amelia's best friends was going to the gymnastics with us, I could always sense her Grandmothers disapproval of Amelia always running, being loud and when I tried to control her talking back to me.  It always bothered me but then one week she looked at me while I was trying to calm Amelia down before class and said "you better get control of that or teachers like me will have to deal with it when she gets to school".  OUCH! 

It' hurt really badly, I had to do everything I could to hide my tears.  When we got home I really took it out on Amelia, I yelled at her and told her she can't embarrass me like that.  The look on her face I will never forget.  You see, Amelia can't help it, she has ADHD tendencies (per her pediatrician, not self  diagnosed) and she doesn't really have any impulse control.  I hurt my baby because I let someone else judge our family and my baby.  I was wrong, in no way should I have done that.

It was right then that I decided that I wouldn't let someone else make me and in turn make my baby girl feel that way.  What right did they have?  Amelia is perfect!  Yes, she can make you crazy and by the time gymnastics class starts I'm usually sweating from chasing her around.  But she is wonderful the way she is and I'll take that "bad" child any day.  She entertains everyone with her joyous spirit and she doesn't follow the rest--that's someone who can change the world!

Now I'm not stupid and know that I must do something to help her focus and pay attention in school and other places that she needs to learn.  Coming soon I'll tell you my plan and how I came to it.

I hope you'll follow along so we can all learn from each other and know that us Moms with "spirited" kids are not alone.

2 comments:

  1. Thank. You....I have a 2 1/2 year old who is always moving and going...but he is funny,sweet, and smart....but very stubborn too. I am so tired of people talking about him like he is a bad kid...he doesn't hit, bite,or hurt others....he just never stops. It came to he'd today a his MDO....I really needed to read this post to remind me that he is wonderful and I am proud of his joyous heart. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that I need reminding but the twinkle in her eyes shows the gift she is.

      Delete