My Amelia Rose

My Amelia Rose

Sunday, August 19, 2012

And then there was the birthday party...

Our newest adventures that have started happening as Amelia is getting older, getting invited to lots of birthday parties.  My best friend warned me about these and I never fully understood but now that we have tons of invites and tons of "what about MY gift" from Amelia, I get it!

It all started as a good day, we got up, went to breakfast and then got Amelia a little hair trim.  She was so excited about this party, all I heard was "we have to hurry and get ready!".  It was at Build-a-Bear at the Boardwalk so in usual fashion I got there early to do a little shopping and walk around with Amelia.  Apparently it was too much for the princess, she told me so at one point.

So we got to the party about 15 minutes early and all was good until it was time for the actual party.  She wouldn't sit in the circle and thought she would throw the little hearts like the lady did at the beginning, she was kicking, screaming, talking back to me, it was truly horrific (for me).  I'm sure quite entertaining to others though.  I finally took her to the bathroom and gave her the come to God talk, she came back crying and I was the bad Mom.  She still wouldn't cooperate but it was a bit better.  She didn't want a stuffed animal, she didn't want the outfit, she said we were there too long and she wanted to leave...all very, very loudly.  I'm not sure I can portray the horror I was dealing with though it probably will be the talk of many for a while.

Finally we got our stuff and headed over to Bass Pro for the cake and dinner at Sonic, she seemed to calm down quite a bit on the walk--maybe the store was too much for her.  After getting to Sonic she was settling down but really wanted cake.  At one point she walked away and went and sat in the corner, I truly didn't care and needed a break.  She ate and the acting up started again.  She started not so graciously digging around her privates, modesty is not her gift.  I begged, pleaded for her to stop, there was some giggling going on around the table.  After the second come to God talk I put her in time out where she sobbed, somehow I became the bad Mom there.  As we got ready to leave she dropped her soda which was the final straw...so I thought.  She then started jumping in it, I snapped.  My friend patted my back...had she forgotten the spawn of Satan's behaviour?  Or maybe as a Mom she sees this as normal.  Goodness if I know, I just know at that point total humiliation is all I felt.

Amazingly as we start going to the car this angel comes back, the one that I know and I swear is there.  I told her how disappointed I was and she started crying that she wanted me to be happy and she was just having fun.  She was a totally different child in the car and at home, why couldn't anyone get to see this??

I've learned a couple of things, first is that no nap=no party, period, no giving in even if I hurt a friends feeling and have a sobbing child.  Second, bring medicine, she said she didn't feel good, her allergies we're bad so maybe I should have known. 

But my question is:  do I take her and leave when she acts this way?  It's not like it's at a friends house, it was a party they paid for by the number of kids plus it seems that would be even more of a  spectacle.  I want her to have fun and hate the thought of doing that but is not doing it "giving into her"?

I do know this, my incessant desire to get places early does not work for my baby girl, I'm just going to have to be right on time or a little late, otherwise I'm asking too much.  That's a change I have to work on for me and boy will it hurt!


No comments:

Post a Comment